- How long does it take to process my application?
There is a timing consideration to convene a meeting of
the AC Board, but on an average we anticipate that the
process should take 3 to 4 months to complete applications.
- How often will I have to renew my Certification?
You may be required to renew your certificate if there
are significant changes to the National Occupational Standards
(NOS). You will have to demonstrate competency in these
- Am I obligated to get my Certification?
Certification is a voluntary program, and no one is obligated
- Is there a fee to process my application?
There is a $25 fee to begin the process and a $25 fee per
year to maintain your certificate. You have an option to
pay $100 for the five year plan.
- Is my Certification recognized across Canada?
Absolutely - Canada 's bus industry supports the Certification
program and numerous companies have contributed to its
- I have taken training programs that are not formally
recognized. How can I make these count?
If you can provide the Certification Board with documentation
and employer confirmation of your successful completion
of training that conforms to the National Occupational
Standards, and you complete the rest of the application
process, your application will receive due consideration
by the Board
- Is my Certification recognized in other countries?
Canada is setting new standards as the first country to
institute this type of Certification of Bus Operators.
Other countries are following the progress of this program.
- Will having my Certification mean an increase
Certification is not directly linked to salary scales,
however being a Certified Bus Operator will ensure that
your qualifications and abilities are recognized by bus
companies across Canada .
- I'm a school bus driver? Do the same "rules" apply
to part-time workers?
Absolutely! You may be fully certified as a School Bus
Driver, as long as you meet the criteria outlined in the
- What if I have a collision or other driving infraction
when not on duty?
Bus operators are bound by their Code of Ethics "to
strive to follow the highest moral and legal standards
of professional conduct". Your certificate could be revoked
for any of the following reasons.
- Loss of drivers license
- Criminal conviction
- Substantiated flagrant or repetitive driving infractions
- Non-compliance with Code of Ethics
- Non-payment of Certification fees.
Need Adobe Reader to access the requested files? Download the latest version here.